Košice at the Beginning of the 20th Century

A couple of colored photos will surely help you imagine what Kosice looked like at the beginning of the 20th century. They were all taken from the collection of the Eastern Slovakian Museum in Kosice:

 


Main Street, with the Chapel of St. Michael and the Temple of St. Alzbeta.


628x404, 46 kByte

Picture from the year 1920. The original published by Lichting in Presov.


Building of the military headquaters (on the Hviezdoslav street) built by J. Kauser, E. Halmos and A. Soukup in the years 1906 - 08. Now used for the Eastern Slovakian Museum.


605x370, 47 kByte

Picture from the year 1921. The original published by A. V. in Kralov Hradec.


The iron bridge over mill creek heading to Klobusicky street (now Masaryk street). Constructed in 1885 to replace an old wooden bridge.


634x412, 56 kByte

Picture from the year 1916. The original published by Divald & Monostory in Budapest.


The Museum , built in the year 1898, by A. Jakab, G. Jakab and M. Repaszky. Now a place of expositions of the Eastern Slovakian Museum.


626x412, 45 kByte

Picture taken in 1907.


Mill Street


719x402, 54 kByte

Picture from the year 1905. The original published by V. Nyulasi in Kosice.


The main building of the railway station built in the year 1896. Other buildings are from 1860-70.


404x641, 52 kByte

Picture from the year 1910. The original published by K. Divald & son in Presov.


The urban tower.


404x631, 46 kByte

Picture taken in 1910. The original published by V. Bencur in Kosice.


The Temple of St. Alzbeta after reconstruction (in the years 1877-96).


389x631, 44 kByte

Picture from the year 1905. The original published in 1906 by Dr. Trenkler in Leipzig.